he future is something you build towards. Setting goals and milestones and achieving them after a certain period of time is one of the best ways to do that. However, with that said, predicting the future is one of the hardest things to do. By looking at future events, trends, and research, we have an idea on a few things that we should expect in the not so distant future.
“THAT’S HOW THE FUTURE ALWAYS ARRIVES: YOU DON’T REALIZE ITS HERE UNTIL YOU BUMP INTO IT”Warren Ellis, Novelist & Screenwriter
At the start of a new decade, it’s easy to be curious about what the future holds. The world has never been as it is now, and it’s safe to say that it does not intend to remain the same. Life-altering moves are being made all around the world. These moves might start by affecting only those who are highly invested, but in time, they will change the way we interpret and understand our world. The thought of everything changing is both scary and exciting, but we would let you decide which is which. Here are the future events that will happen before 2050!
Starting With 2020
- Starting with future events in the year 2020, the Summer Olympics are set to be held in Tokyo, Japan. Tokyo will become the first city outside a western state to have hosted the Olympics more than once. The Japanese city first hosted the world Olympics in 1964. The 2020 Olympic events will begin on the 24th of July and end on the 9th of August 2020. As of March 2020, the decision to still hold the summer Olympics in Tokyo is in question due to the Coronavirus spread.
- In 2020, China will launch its first space station. The module aced a final review in 2019, showing that it is nearly ready for deployment. China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) has scheduled the launch of the space station for 2020.
- Aurora Station, a space hotel developed by Orion Span, is set to launch in 2021. The future event aims to provide tourism opportunities to space. While the $10 million price tag for a 2-week rendezvous might be outside most people’s travel budgets, the US startup targets the world’s wealthiest population that might like to float in outer space. Aurora Station will take four tourists and two crew members per time after each tourist has received a three-month training course.
- India launched its Human Spaceflight Programme in 2007 and intends to send its first mission to space in December 2021. The spacecraft, named Gaganyaan, will take off from India sometime this year, according to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Qatar is set to host the FIFA World Cup in 2022. This is the first time football’s greatest tournament will be held in the Middle East.
- Beijing, China, is set to host the Winter Olympics from the 4th of February till the 20th of February, 2022. This will also be the first time the Winter Olympics is held in China.
- Of all the future events the first Mickey Mouse show will see its copyright expire under current US law. Disney has until December 2023 to figure out how to extend Mickey Mouse’s copyright again. If they don’t figure out a solution, anyone can make copies of the film.
- SpaceX intends to launch its first crewed flight rocket that is carrying cargo to Mars in 2024. Currently, the Starship and Super Heavy rockets are being prepped for this particular task.
- Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link is an immersed tunnel that will directly connect Northern Germany to the Danish island of Zealand; Copenhagen. It ought to be completed in 2024 and one of the most exciting future events.
- The current tallest building in the world will be replaced with the Jeddah Tower. The Jeddah Tower is to stand at 1km, which will make it inarguably, the tallest building in the world.
- The International space station (ISS) will run out of funding in 2025. The White House intends to cut off it’s funding; as a result, the ISS might be decommissioned. The focus will instead be placed on commercially operated habitats in low-earth orbit.
- The Giant Magellan telescope is set to revolutionize our understanding of the universe. The 22-story megascope should be completed in 2025. When it’s finished, the Giant Magellan Telescope will be the largest in the world and have ten times the resolution that the Hubble Space telescope currently has.
- The year 2026 should bring us the first-ever human-on-Mars mission from SpaceX. Having transported cargo to the planet a few years earlier, SpaceX is committing to continuous attempts and technological advances that will guarantee human life on Mars.
- NASA has made announcements in regards to future events that it intends to send a human-crewed mission to visit an asteroid. The trip will involve harvesting a multi-ton boulder from its surface and redirecting it around the moon to a safe orbit.
- The historic church, La Sagrada Familia, which started in 1882, will finally be completed in 2026. By then, it would have taken 144 years to build this masterpiece. Despite its incomplete status, the church is still a top attraction site in Spain. Moreover, the year 2026 marks the 100th anniversary of its founding architect — Antoni Gaudi’s death.
- Remember those people that left for Mars at the behest of SpaceX? Well, this is the year they ought to arrive on the planet. We should learn what life looks like on the red planet in 2027.
- Fifty years after his death, the full autopsy result of Elvis Presley will finally be available for release. The autopsy result was sealed after his death in 1977. Controversies surrounding the cause of his death have swirled around several media outlets in America for years. While most subscribe to the theory that he died as a result of polypharmacy, it will be interesting to see the original findings and the world’s reaction to it after half a century.
- San Francisco and Los Angeles will be connected by a high-speed train that can transport people from one to the other in about 2 hours 20 minutes! This is a major decrease in the time it takes to cover the distance by car. Driving through the fastest route will take about 6.4 hours.
“BY THE 2030S, THE NONBIOLOGICAL PORTION OF OUR INTELLIGENCE WILL PREDOMINATE.”Ray Kurzweil, Inventor & Futurist
- NASA intends to launch the first human-crewed mission to Mars. If SpaceX failed four years earlier, this might be the second attempt and the first recorded success.
- China has declared that it intends to launch its own human-crewed mission to the moon in 2030. Although a decade away, a lot of work and resources are already being put into these plans.
- Russia has plans to put up its flag on the moon, and isn’t letting up!
- Tiny spacecraft will leave to the Alpha Centauri star system. Proxima-Centauri b is in the system’s habitable zone and could be home to some form of alien life. They will arrive at the system 20-30 years later and can take detailed photographs of the mysterious planet.
“WE COULD BE LOOKING AT SUMMERS WITH ESSENTIALLY NO SEA ICE ON THE ARCTIC OCEAN ONLY A FEW DECADES FROM NOW”Mark Serreze, Geographer, in 2013
- 2037 might see the first summer without any ice in the Arctic. That would be due to the predictions based on several interpretations of the available data regarding global warming.
“BY 2040, MORE THAN HALF OF THE NEW CARS WILL BE ELECTRIC”Bloomberg New Energy Finance
- In 2040, France will ban all gasoline and diesel vehicles in the country.
- The world population would be at an all-time high and might reach 9 billion.
- Americans of European ancestry might become a minority group inside of the USA.
- 2042 will probably see the world’s first trillionaire.
- The works of J.R.R Tolkien — The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit — will enter the public domain.
“I HAVE SET THE DATE FOR 2045 FOR THE ‘SINGULARITY’ WHICH IS WHEN WE WILL MULTIPLY OUR EFFECTIVE INTELLIGENCE A BILLION FOLD BY MERGING WITH THE INTELLIGENCE WE CREATED”Ray Kurzweil, Inventor & Futurist
- According to the famed futurist, Ray Kurzweil, 2045 is the year of technological singularity. This may be the year that Artificial Intelligence will surpass human intelligence. That will lead to enormous and unforeseen changes in society as we know it.
- The Antarctic treaty would come up for review. This could lead to oil industries opening up on the continent for the first time.
“BY 2050, THERE WILL BE MORE PLASTIC THAN FISH IN THE WORLD’S OCEANS”World Economic Forum
- By 2050, half of the Amazon rainforest will likely be deforested. Half of the world’s population will live in cities, and a half might not have access to clean drinking water.
- The average global life expectancy could be 76 years old.
- Super-smart AI might become even smarter than humans, what a terrifying thought!
- Self-driving cars will likely be regular and a new world of hundreds or thousands of people might be living and working on Mars.
“LOGIC WILL GET YOU FROM A TO Z; IMAGINATION WILL GET YOU EVERYWHERE”Albert Einstein, Physicist
Are you excited about the future? We know we are!