Quarantine activities are the only thing keeping many of us sane right now. It officially started three weeks into March and after nearly two months of staying in, you’ve probably gone a little stir crazy at times, especially if you’re isolating with your spouse or significant other.
Saturday date nights have repeatedly consisted of the same Netflix series, sweats, popcorn, and for you females, dry shampoo (lots of it). Not to say the two of you have gotten too comfortable with each other, but the same routine over-and-over can result in feeling like you need a little more ‘spark’ in your Saturday nights. Spicing things up doesn’t have to be a chore, nor does it need to be super expensive! If there’s any time to get creative and finally tackle those DIY projects, it’s now!
Now playing at the living room theatre
Are you and your significant other the type that enjoys heading to the theatre to watch a good thriller or newly-released movie? You might not be able to recreate the ‘big-screen’ experience a theatre does, but you can totally recreate every other aspect of the theatre experience in the comfort of your own home, overpriced snacks, and all. Adding a movie night to your list of quarantine activities could be a great idea!
The best part? It’s JUST the two of you in the theatre – isn’t that every couple’s dream? Here’s what you need:
- A form of payment (monopoly money works great)
- All your favorite snacks and alcoholic beverages
- Posterboard or construction paper to display showtimes
- Posterboard or construction paper to display concession prices
- Makeshift concession-worker uniform (because who doesn’t like a little roleplay)?
Ensure your significant other will be out of the house for at least an hour so you can prepare everything. Grocery shopping is the perfect opportunity! When your partner gets home, greet them at the door, welcome them to the theatre and have them pick a movie from the showtimes display. Don’t forget to include a 50% markup on all snacks, because that’s what movie theatres do best. Accept the monopoly money as payment and don’t forget to ID your partner if they order an alcoholic beverage! Once all snack orders are in, grab the blankets, cozy up, and enjoy the show!
But I double-dog dared you…
Whether you and your partner have been together for one year or 15 years, a good laugh never fails to complete the night and is a great addition to your list of quarantine activities. Get to know each other on a deeper level with an old fashioned game of truth or dare, or take a blast to the past and play a game of 20 questions — you’ll be surprised how much you can still learn about your partner!
There are plenty of free online versions and apps for these classic games or take things to the next level with a twist on some of the classics from Amazon. *Warning: fun may occur. Here are three recommendations that will surely spark things up.
- PG – Our Moments for Couples: $24.95 on Amazon
- PG-13 – Fun and Romantic Game for Couples: $26 on Amazon
- X-rated- Bedroom Battle – $33.99 on Amazon
Top chef quarantine cook-off
A common argument amongst many couples — who’s the best cook between the two of you? There’s no better way to award the reigning kitchen champion than to host your very own version of Top Chef.
Cooking is meant to be intimate, so sparks will definitely be flying! Consider yourself a competitive type? Swear words might also be flying… up for the challenge? Here’s what you need:
- A blindfold
- Scorecards rated 0-10
- Kitchen equipped for cooking
- Aprons (optional)
Step 1: Take turns with your partner while wearing a blindfold to choose random ingredients from the pantry and/or fridge (choose between 6-10 ingredients)
Step 2: Divide the ingredients chosen at random between the two of you and add anything else you both think is necessary (meat, protein, etc.)
Step 3: IT’S SHOWTIME – set a timer for 40+ minutes and get cooking
Step 4: When the timer goes off, put down all cooking supplies and serve the meal to your partner
Step 5: Judge each other’s meals with scorecards from 0-10 (10 being the best)
Step 6: The winner holds all bragging rights!
Campgrounds might not be completely open yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t glamp it up in the comfort of your own backyard! Something hits a little different than the regular nightly routine when the outdoors, campfire stories, and smokies are involved, oh, and your other half of course!
- Sleeping bags or blankets
- S’more supplies
- smokies, buns, and condiments
- Roasting sticks
- Campfire (optional depending on backyard size and supplies)
- Good tunes and company
Wine down for the night
Why not add a wine night to your list of quarantine activities! Next time one of you hits up the grocery store, make a detour to the liquor store and pick up a few bottles of wine. Already have a collection to choose from at home, perfect! You’re all set. Not only does this give you an excuse to drink multiple bottles of wine, but it also tests your cheeseboard plating skills.
Complete the ensemble with lighting some candles and playing music to set the mood, and it’ll feel like the two of you are on your dream getaway in the heart of Tuscany! Or whichever region your wine is from.
At the end of the day, your partner comes first
Okay, we all saw this one coming, but let’s be real. While you’re used to waking up, going to work, and primarily only spending evenings and weekends with your other half, things might be starting to feel a little too comfortable at home… or in the bedroom.
The word ‘pandemic’ doesn’t necessarily have a sexy ring to it, but that doesn’t mean you should forget about your sex life during the midst of all this craziness. If anything, you should think about it more and make it a priority amongst quarantine activities! Afterall, endorphins are the perfect stress reliever, and it’s safe to say, right now is kind of a stressful time. Agree? Great, here are some simple ways how:
- Spend time apart. This may sound redundant, but when you’re with your partner 24/7, you might not feel the same desire you previously felt. Work from home in different rooms of the house or make an effort to separately get the groceries or walk the dog. Alone time is just as important as a couple of times and absence from each other will ultimately make your love for each other fonder.
- Play dress up. Whether you want to feel more confident in your own skin, or you’re getting the feeling your partner isn’t getting those ‘sexy’ vibes from the sweatpants and hoodie you’ve been rocking, order yourself that lingerie you’ve been eyeing! Throw some loose curls in your hair, spray some perfume and see where the night takes you.
- Make it a priority. Again, this may sound silly, but as mentioned earlier, the days become all jumbled during times like these, and before you know it, you and your partner haven’t done the dirty in over two weeks. Put time for the two of you in your calendar so you know that every Saturday you have something to look forward to.